Every December, Entrepreneur predicts 10 categories that will be the most successful in the coming year. This year’s list, reflected in Tracy Stapp Herold’s “Entrepreneur’s Franchise Forecast” on the Entrepreneur website in December, covers categories ranging from baked goods to children’s enrichment services. The list includes:
- Baked Goods. From pretzels to sandwiches to donuts to cupcakes, baked goods franchises are on the rise. Examples include: We’re Rolling Pretzel Company, 2Good2B (gluten-, corn- and soy-free bakery and café), Rise Biscuits and Donuts, House of Bread, and Dunkin’ Donuts.
- Children’s Enrichment. In this world of helicopter parenting and reduced enrichment opportunities in the schools, providing any means available to help their kids get ahead is top-of-mind for many parents. From art to music to sports to academics, franchises in children’s enrichment are leading the pack. Examples include: Abrakadoodle (art), Brick-by-Brick (Legos), CompuChild (technology), JumoBunch (sports and fitness), and School of Rock.
- Fitness. Although not new to the franchise top 10 list, big gyms continue to grow, but specialty areas, like yoga and boxing are also gaining popularity. Examples include: Koko FitClub, High Altitude Personal Training, Gold’s Gym, Jazzercise, and Rock Climbing Franchising.
- Men’s Grooming. Not your mother’s spa, this new take on the old school barber shop is growing in popularity. Examples include: The Boardroom Salon for Men, Sports Clubs, and Hammer & Nails.
- Outdoor Pest Control. Once practically disappeared from the franchise leader lists, a new focus has them back at the top. Consumer irritation and health concerns about outdoor pests like mosquitos and ticks has this category back on the map. Examples include: Green Home Solutions, Mosquito Joe, and Superior Mosquito Defense.
- Pets. Pets continue to rule to roost for many families. Pet-care businesses on the list ranges from grooming to daycare to pet supplies. Examples include: Barkefellers, The Place for Dogs, Camp Bow Wow, and Pet Assist.
- Property Management. This relatively new franchise category is growing fast. Areas within the category include both resort and residential property management services. Examples include: Book By Owner Resort Property Management, Renters Warehouse USA, and Wallace Property Management Group.
- Resale/Consignment. With shoppers becoming more savvy with online resale providers like EBay and Craigslist, it’s no wonder the resale franchise world is growing. While most of the resale and consignment businesses are focused on clothing and accessories, others are selling books, musical instruments, sporting goods, and even smartphones. Examples include: Children’s Orchard, Device Pitstop, iSold It, Music Go Round, Once Upon A Child, and Play It Again Sports.
- Salon Suites. This niche within the salon franchise industry is unique in that it allows salon professionals the opportunity to own and run their own businesses while using a professional space and service. Examples include: Image Studios 360, My Salon Suite, and Phenix Salon Suites Franchising.
- Smoothies. With the list starting with baked goods, it only makes sense to close it with healthy smoothies. The smoothie franchise success seems to be related to the focus on using greens like kale and spinach to replace the sugary treats once dominating the smoothie menus. Examples include: Fresh Healthy Café, Juice It Up!, and Smoothie Factory
From cupcakes to fitness and music enrichment to musical instrument resale, it will certainly be fascinating to watch the categories on Entrepreneur’s list over the next 12 months and what heights these franchises can climb!← Back to all articles